Is the Standard license right for your project?
In this article, we have laid out the Terms of Sales of the Standard license and give you some concrete project examples to help you understand the Standard license.
A Standard license grants you the following rights:
Modify or adapt the track to synchronize it with the below-mentioned projects
- You can cut the track, use loops of it and change its volume (fade-in; fade-out).
- You can NOT modify the work itself (e.g. remix the track, add lyrics to the track).
Synchronize one track with one video or audio content that is published online
- Use the track in any professional, corporate, commercial videos, advertisements.
- Use the track in any audio content.
- Publish the project online (Internet uploads have no geographical limits).
- The broadcast on paid or subscription-based online TV is NOT included (e.g. Netflix, Primevideo). For this, the Full Scale license is required.
Use one track for an unlimited number of episodes in an online video channel or podcast series
- One Standard license allows you to synchronize one track with an unlimited number of videos of a video channel (e.g. YouTube channel, Facebook profile) or with an unlimited number of episodes of one podcast, that is broadcast online (no geographical limitation).
- This right ONLY applies if your video channel or podcast series is your main professional activity, as an individual or as a legal entity (e.g. a company).
- If the video channel or podcast series is not your main professional activity, then you will require one license per video that is synchronized with the track.
Use the track as background music for a website
- The synchronization with a website only allows a background (passive) listening experience for visitors to the website.
- The Standard license allows synchronization with professional and commercial websites.
Synchronize the track with a project for internal communication
- Synchronize the track with a project that is shown internally within a company or any other legal entity.
- Examples of internal communication can be an intranet, internal meetings or training materials.
Use the track as music-on-hold or on an answering machine for telephones
- One license allows the use of a track for one office or location only.
- The Standard license does NOT cover the service of music-on-hold services or answering machines offered by a company.
Synchronize the track with a TV pilot episode or a radio pilot episode
- The pilot episode can be broadcast on any corresponding medium.
- This includes analog and digital TV/radio, e.g. terrestrial broadcast, cable broadcast, satellite broadcast, internet.
- For the broadcast of a TV/radio program that is not a pilot episode, a higher license is required.
Synchronize the track with a project that is broadcast on local/regional radio
- The Standard license allows synchronization with an audio content, which is then broadcast on local/regional radio (e.g. synchronization with an advert).
- The broadcast of the track without any synchronization is NOT allowed.
- For the broadcast on radio with nationwide coverage, a Large license is required.
Synchronize the track in a mobile application allowing for one million downloads
- Synchronize the track with an application for smartphones/tablets.
- The Standard license includes the rights for a maximum of 1,000,000 downloads of the app. Should the number exceed one million, then a Large license is required.
- The distribution is allowed through any mobile applications store without geographical limitation (e.g. Google Play Store, Apple Store, Windows Phone Store, Amazon Store, Tizen).
- The number of downloads is the combined number of downloads in all mobile stores.
- The Standard license does NOT allow the use of a track in a music app where the purpose is listening and downloading music.
- The Standard license also does NOT allow end-users of the app to create any video project with the track.
Why don't you pay artists? Why do you write every time: that the money was sent? That's a lie. As artists, we will ban the use of our music, let the customers start to return their money.
Please sign in to leave a comment.